Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Our Daily Bread (Part 2)


It's fair to say that the bread recipe I posted a few weeks ago has become a bit of a fixation.  We've stopped buying bread altogether now; I sat down and figured out that we can save about $500.00 a year just by baking our own (factoring in the cost of ingredients and power to run the oven.)  With the added benefits of knowing exactly what goes into our loaves and the pleasure of hot, fresh bread, it seems well worth it.  As with almost everything, this recipe seems to get easier and better the more I experience I have with it......I've figured out a few shortcuts like using the warm sink bath for rising (keeping the dough in the original mixing bowl and separating afterward) and then later using the same water to rinse my baking equipment.  I've begun to double or even triple the recipe -- I usually make one regular loaf and put the rest of the dough into our large silicone cake pan, resulting in the gorgeous loaf above (baking time remains the same.) 

Recently, when we've visited friends, I've brought a loaf with me for the kids to snack on and to leave with our host.  This morning I made a breakfast bread by adding cinnamon, chopped dates, and sunflower and flax seeds -- I imagine that the recipe will lend itself to other combinations as well.  To top it all off, miracle of miracles, my toddler will actually eat the crust of this bread, protesting if I try to take it away.... Yes, my relationship with the No-Knead Wholemeal Loaf has advanced from crush to full-blown romance.    I can't help it; I'm in love.

No comments: