Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Creative Space




This week, I've been playing around with something a bit different....we were given a lovely set of matching dinnerware recently, and suddenly all of my op-shop plates seemed a bit extraneous.  I bought ceramic paint ages ago, and it's been withering away in my desk drawer, so I decided to experiment with a new medium.


I used both a pen and paint for these ("Porcelaine" brand) and the consistency of each took some getting used to.  Now that I've got the hang of it though, I'm feeling hooked.  It's a good thing I have a whole pile of plates to go through.  The paint is dishwasher resistant, but I imagine these more as little depositories for trinkets or keys than for eating off of.  I'm sure I'll end up giving most of them away -- because really, there's only so many trinket plates my husband will tolerate.


Playing along with the lovely Kootoyoo this week.  Find links to many more creatives and their spaces here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of decorating plates. Where do you get the paint from? Can you get it at craft stores?
It's something I'd love to do with my kids when they're a little older

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful!!! Very eye catching, don't think I could eat off them either, I'd just want to display them.

Sally said...

Love 'em. Absolutely fantastic.

Bec said...

They look brilliant!

garcia.sol said...

What a fantastic idea! I wanna try! hehe

Seedling said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments! As always, it's gratifying to try something new and allow myself the space to have imperfect results (I was frustrated, often, with how the ink did or didn't comply with what I wanted it to do.) I tried not to judge the outcome too much and just have fun with the process and the learning. I'd really like to buy a few colored paints (leaf-green, mustard yellow and poppy red) and take the idea a bit further.

Sarah, I bought the supplies at Spotlight (our big-name craft store) and I think you could find them easily elsewhere. It would be a great project with kids -- my only caution would be to bake them without little ones around, because the smell is a bit toxic. Good ventilation is key!

Gaby said...

Wow, these look great! Such a cool idea.

Leslie said...

I love the designs! They look amazing.

Mel @ Wildflower said...

Very, very cool! Love them.